DOT Basic Descriptions: Shipping Papers vs. Marks and Labels
- Proper Shipping Name,
- Identification number, and
- Either the consignee’s or consignor’s name and address, i.e., the “to” or “from” address.
- Durably placed on the surface of the package,
- Printed in English,
- Displayed on a contrasting background,
- Un-obscured by labels or attachments, and
- Located away from other markings (such as advertising) that could substantially reduce their effectiveness.
- 6 mm (0.24 in.) wide and 100 mm (3.9 in.) high for rail cars,
- 4 mm (0.16 in.) wide and 25 mm (1 in.) high for IBCs and portable tanks, and
- 6 mm (0.24 in.) wide and 50 mm (2.0 in.) high for cargo tanks and other bulk packagings.
- Packages with a maximum capacity of 5 L (1.3 gal.), or 5 kg (11 lbs.) or less “…must be marked in a size appropriate for the size for the package.”
- Packages with a maximum capacity of 30 L (8 gal.) or less, or 40 kg (66 lbs.) maximum gross weight, or cylinders with a water capacity of 60 L (16 gal.) or less must be marked with characters at least 6 mm (0.24 in.) high.
- Larger packages must be marked in characters at least 12 mm (0.47 in.) high.
Tags: DOT, hazmat shipping, marks and labels, papers, shipping
Find a Post
Lion does a great job summarizing and communicating complicated EH&S-related regulations.
Sr. Environmental Engineer
The instructor made the class very enjoyable and catered to the needs of our group.
Convenient; I can train when I want, where I want.
Hazmat Shipping Professional
If I need thorough training or updating, I always use Lion. Lion is always the best in both instruction and materials.
Our instructor was very dynamic and kept everyone's interest. Hazmat shipping can be a dry, complicated topic but I was engaged the entire time.
Senior Director of EH&S
The instructor made the class enjoyable. He presented in a very knowledgeable, personable manner. Best class I've ever attended. Will take one again.
Environmental Compliance Manager
I can take what I learned in this workshop and apply it to everyday work and relate it to my activities.
The instructor created a great learning environment.
CAD & Environmental Manager
You blew the doors off the competition!
Lion is easily and consistently the best option for compliance training. I've learned new information from every instructor I've had.
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
Your hazmat paperwork is the first thing a DOT inspector will ask for during an inspection. From hazmat training records to special permits, make sure your hazmat documents are in order.