To help employers re-open businesses safely and protect the safety and health of employees, Lion News staff is reviewing standards for COVID-19 preparedness, workplace controls, and employee training on a state-by-state basis.
To learn more, view our list of states with COVID-19 programs in place.
On the heels of re-opening guidelines for employers issued by Connecticut's governor, the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development provide specifics about COVID-19 training employers are required to provide for workers. What’s unique about Connecticut’s COVID-19 training policy is the required hands-on training component employees must complete before returning to work.
The COVID-19 training is expected to vary by industry, depending on the level of direct contagion exposure an employee may face on a regular basis. Lesser-exposed businesses can do less involved training but will still need to understand the requirements for their business type and will need to update training as new coronavirus safety guidelines emerge and/or when workers change job duties.
What's Required for COVID-19 Training in Connecticut?
As noted above, the depth of training may vary between industries. However, all employees must be trained on basic coronavirus prevention measures, such as:
Learn more here.
- Employee hygiene, such as thorough hand washing, and alcohol-based hand sanitizers;
- Policies on workers who feel sick: What symptoms to ask employees to monitor? What is the policy on time off and leave?
- Respiratory etiquette, including how to cover coughs and sneezes;
- Policies on flexible worksites and flexible work hours
- Physical distancing policies for employees and customers;
- Restrictions on using frequently-touched devices (i.e.: phones, computers, switch boards, etc.)
- Procedures on maintaining regular housekeeping practices, including routine cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces, equipment, and other elements of the work environment; and
- How to use, maintain, and store PPE.
COVID-19 Safety Awareness Online Training
This week, Lion launched the COVID-19 Employee Safety Awareness Online Course
to help US workplaces re-open safely. As facilities nationwide begin to re-open, it is crucial that employees know how to protect themselves and their co-workers from exposure to COVID-19.
The course prepares employees to:
The course is designed to help employers nationwide satisfy COVID-19 employee awareness and training requirements now in place in many states, including Connecticut.
- Recognize signs, symptoms, and risk factors for COVID-19
- Describe how the COVID-19 disease is transmitted
- Follow recommended hygiene and work protocols to prevent exposure
- Properly use and care for PPE and face coverings, when required