To help employers re-open businesses safely and protect the safety and health of employees, Lion News staff is reviewing standards for COVID-19 preparedness, workplace controls, and employee training on a state-by-state basis.
To learn more, view our list of states with COVID-19 programs in place.
On July 2, the State of Texas issued a revised checklist of minimum standards for employers and event organizers to follow to protect workers and limit the spread of COVID-19. This latest revision requires training for all employees and contractors on how to protect themselves and others from COVID-19 infection and how to prevent transmission.
The “Health protocols for your employees and contractors
” section of the checklist, linked below, states that all employees and contractors must recieve COVID-19 training that covers “appropriate cleaning and disinfection, hand hygiene, and respiratory etiquette.”
Appropriate COVID-19 training may include, but is not limited to:
- How to establish and maintain adequate social distancing;
- Face covering etiquette and requirements;
- Coughing and/or sneezing etiquette;
- Proper hand washing protocols as well as proper hand sanitizer usage; and
- Guidance on cleaning and sanitizing high-touch surfaces such as workstations, equipment, screens, doorknobs, and restrooms.
In addition to providing COVID-19 training for workers, employers must screen all employees and contractors for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 before they enter the business, clean and disinfect the workplace at least daily, and maintain 6 feet of separation between individuals where possible. The checklist also sets occupancy limits for facilities and elevators.
Read the full checklist here.
Now Available: COVID-19 Safety Awareness Online Training
This week, Lion launched the COVID-19 Employee Safety Awareness Online Course
to help US workplaces re-open safely. As facilities nationwide begin to re-open, it is crucial that employees know how to protect themselves and their co-workers from exposure to COVID-19.
The course prepares employees to:
The course is designed to help employers nationwide satisfy COVID-19 employee awareness and training requirements now in place in many states, including Texas.
- Recognize signs, symptoms, and risk factors for COVID-19
- Describe how the COVID-19 disease is transmitted
- Follow recommended hygiene and work protocols to prevent exposure
- Properly use and care for PPE and face coverings, when required