Lithium battery regulations are complex—but not all
lithium batteries are subject to all
of the regulations. Small lithium batteries—i.e., button cells, cell phone batteries, and others— qualify for some relief when shipped in certain ways. This course provides streamlined training on the requirements to ship excepted lithium-ion or lithium-metal batteries.
- Engaging, interactive lithium battery shipper training.
- Trusted compliance resources and references to simplify lithium battery compliance.
- Year-round updates to your course resources and alerts about rule changes.
- Three months of Lion Membership for complete compliance support.
- Certificate to demonstrate competence and fluency in lithium battery regulations.
Shipping Excepted Lithium Battery training covers:
- Locate and use the lithium battery rules for ground, air, and vessel shipments
- Basics hazards of lithium batteries and general requirements
- Classifying and naming excepted lithium batteries for transport
- Package quantity limits and packaging requirements
- Required marks and labels for excepted lithium batteries
- Hazard documentation requirement, incl. the Air Waybill
Key Learning Objectives:
Identify, navigate, and apply domestic and international regulations for excepted lithium batteries shipped by ground, air, or vessel
Help meet US DOT, IATA DGR, and IMDG Code training mandates for excepted lithium battery ground, air, and vessel shippers
Online Course Details
||Desktop, tablet, or mobile
|Training required by
||ICAO/IATA (IATA PI 965 & 970)
CEUs and Certification Maintenance
See how Lion courses can help you maintain your professional credentials.
What's different about online training at Lion.com?
Professionals choose Lion’s online training because our courses are more detailed and more up-to-date than other training available.
Hazardous materials, environmental, and safety professionals rely on Lion for:
- Courses developed and supported by credentialed, experienced trainers.
- Materials updated continuously to keep pace with changing regulations.
- Unrivaled training resources to simplify compliance and inform decision making.
- Flexible, convenient solutions to fit any schedule or learning style.
- Ongoing compliance support, including the Lion Finder Service.
Online courses can be accessed 24/7, from any internet connection, with support available 7 days a week. Test drive a course or learn more about online training.
What is an excepted lithium battery?
The size and quantity of batteries or cells allowed in an excepted package varies based on the Watt-hour rating of the batteries, the battery chemistry (ion or metal), and the mode of transport used.
Who takes excepted lithium batteries training?
Managers and employees involved in preparing excepted lithium-ion or lithium-metal batteries for transportation by ground, air, and/or vessel.
Important: As of January 1, 2017, FedEx and UPS will no longer accept for air transportation lithium-ion or lithium-metal batteries packed by themselves (UN 3480 and UN 3090) prepared using the IATA DGR Section II Packing Instructions for small lithium batteries.
To ship lithium-ion or lithium-metal batteries by themselves, by air using UPS or FedEx, you must now prepare them using Section IA or IB of the applicable IATA Packing Instruction (965 for lithium-ion, 968 for lithium-metal). For training to prepare these battery shipments, we recommend the Shipping Lithium Batteries Course.