This course provides required DOT hazmat employee training for drivers of motor vehicles that carry hazardous materials in bulk and non-bulk packagings. The course provides hazmat general awareness, security awareness, and function-specific hazmat driver training.
US DOT requires training for all hazmat employees, including drivers, once every three years (49 CFR 172.704).
Hazmat drivers must know their responsibilities for safe transportation to prevent releases and security incidents on the road.
This hazmat training course may be of value to drivers who are preparing to obtain a hazardous materials endorsement for their Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). However, this course is not
intended to prepare students for the CDL exam.
DOT Hazmat Driver Training Covers How To:
- Identify DOT hazardous materials
- Accept hazardous materials for ground transportation
- Describe general hazmat packaging requirements
- Verify that packaging is adequate for the hazardous material
- Confirm proper labeling and marking of hazmat packages
- Select and display hazmat placards when required
- Safely load, unload, and secure hazardous materials in a motor vehicle
- Properly segregate and separate hazardous materials in a motor vehicle
- Drive and park motor vehicles transporting hazmat in compliance with PHMSA and FMCSA requirements
- Recognize and respond to security threats
- Engaging, interactive 49 CFR hazmat employee training.
- Relevant excerpts of the 49 CFR Hazardous Materials Regulations.
- Trusted resources and references to simplify hazmat compliance.
- Six months of Lion Membership for compliance support.
- Certificate to demonstrate competence in 49 CFR hazmat regulations.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Develop hazmat general awareness and security awareness required for all hazmat employees, including hazmat drivers
- Safely perform regulated job functions to properly operate a motor vehicle carrying hazardous materials
- Help satisfy US DOT hazmat employee training mandates found at 49 CFR 172.704
Online Course Details
||Desktop, tablet, or mobile
|Training required by
||US DOT (49 CFR 172.704(c))
CEUs and Certification Maintenance
See how Lion courses can help you maintain your professional credentials.
Why choose online DOT hazmat training?
Online hazmat training is convenient, cost-effective way to satisfy US DOT hazmat employee training mandates for bulk or non-bulk hazmat shippers. Produced and kept up-to-date by Lion's team of experienced hazmat trainers and regulatory experts, this course is comprehensive, reliable, and designed to simplify hazmat compliance for employees at any experience level.
Online courses are available 24/7 with support available 7 days a week. Our state-of-the-art learning management system gives you access to tools that will enhance your online training experience:
- Resume your training from where you left off with automatic bookmarking
- Track your progress with the detailed course status display
- Get answers to your course content questions from expert instructors
- Develop your compliance expertise with engaging interactions
- Test your knowledge with exercises and quizzes on critical topics
- Access your complete Lion training history at any time
Who should take this DOT hazmat driver training course?
Any driver who operates a motor vehicle carrying hazardous materials by ground, in bulk or non-bulk packagings, including drivers of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs).
Typical hazmat job functions performed by drivers include accepting hazardous materials for ground transport, loading and unloading hazardous materials, and operating the motor vehicle.
For employees who carry small amounts of hazardous materials in motor vehicle in support of their employer’s primary business, the Transporting Materials of Trade
course provides more appropriate hazmat training.