This course provides required DOT hazmat employee training for drivers of motor vehicles that carry hazardous materials in bulk and non-bulk packagings. The course provides hazmat general awareness, security awareness, and function-specific hazmat driver training.
This course is not
intended to prepare students for the Commercial Driver's License (CDL) exam or to meet US DOT's Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT)
requirement. The training may be of value to drivers seeking a hazardous materials endorsement on their CDL.
US DOT requires training for all hazmat employees, including drivers, once every three years (49 CFR 172.704). Hazmat drivers must know their responsibilities for safe transportation to prevent releases and security incidents on the road.
This hazmat training course may be of value to drivers who are preparing to obtain a hazardous materials endorsement for their Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). However, this course is not
intended to prepare students for the CDL exam.
DOT Hazmat Driver Training Covers How To:
- Identify DOT hazardous materials
- Accept hazardous materials for ground transportation
- Describe general hazmat packaging requirements
- Verify that packaging is adequate for the hazardous material
- Confirm proper labeling and marking of hazmat packages
- Select and display hazmat placards when required
- Safely load, unload, and secure hazardous materials in a motor vehicle
- Properly segregate and separate hazardous materials in a motor vehicle
- Drive and park motor vehicles transporting hazmat in compliance with PHMSA and FMCSA requirements
- Recognize and respond to security threats
- Engaging, interactive 49 CFR hazmat employee training.
- Relevant excerpts of the 49 CFR Hazardous Materials Regulations.
- Trusted resources and references to simplify hazmat compliance.
- Six months of Lion Membership for compliance support.
- Certificate to demonstrate competence in 49 CFR hazmat regulations.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Develop hazmat general awareness and security awareness required for all hazmat employees, including hazmat drivers
- Safely perform regulated job functions to properly operate a motor vehicle carrying hazardous materials
- Help satisfy US DOT hazmat employee training mandates found at 49 CFR 172.704
Online Course Details
||Desktop, tablet, or mobile
|Training required by
||US DOT (49 CFR 172.704(c))
CEUs and Certification Maintenance
See how Lion courses can help you maintain your professional credentials.
What's different about online training at Lion.com?
Professionals choose Lion’s online training because our courses are more detailed and more up-to-date than other training available.
Hazardous materials, environmental, and safety professionals rely on Lion for:
- Courses developed and supported by credentialed, experienced trainers.
- Materials updated continuously to keep pace with changing regulations.
- Unrivaled training resources to simplify compliance and inform decision making.
- Flexible, convenient solutions to fit any schedule or learning style.
- Ongoing compliance support, including the Lion Finder Service.
Online courses can be accessed 24/7, from any internet connection, with support available 7 days a week. Test drive a course or learn more about online training.
Who should take this DOT hazmat driver training course?
Any driver who operates a motor vehicle carrying hazardous materials by ground, in bulk or non-bulk packagings, including drivers of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs).
Typical hazmat job functions performed by drivers include accepting hazardous materials for ground transport, loading and unloading hazardous materials, and operating the motor vehicle.
For employees who carry small amounts of hazardous materials in motor vehicle in support of their employer’s primary business, the Transporting Materials of Trade
course provides more appropriate hazmat training.