This course provides required DOT hazmat training for employees who package, mark, label, handle, load, unload, document, and/or offer placards
for hazmat ground shipments. US DOT requires hazmat training for all "hazmat employees" and training must be repeated at least once every three years (49 CFR 172.704).
Hazmat employees who complete this course learn a practical approach to overall hazmat compliance and know how to identify and respond to security threats.
- Engaging, interactive 49 CFR hazmat employee training.
- Relevant excerpts of the 49 CFR Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR).
- Trusted compliance resources and references to simplify hazmat compliance.
- Year-round updates to your course resources and alerts about rule changes.
- 6 months of Lion Membership for complete compliance support.
- Certificate to demonstrate competence in 49 CFR hazmat regulations.
Shipping Hazmat by Ground – Ops training covers:
- 49 CFR General and Security Awareness
- Lion's 10 Steps for Hazmat Compliance
- US DOT's packaging requirements for hazmat shippers
- Marking and labeling hazmat packages
- Loading, unloading, and segregation rules
- Reporting hazmat incidents
- Requirements for offering hazmat placards
- Preparing US DOT shipping papers and manifests
- Verifying carrier credentials
This course is designed to satisfy the US DOT’s initial or recurrent hazmat training requirement for hazmat employees and includes “general awareness,” “security awareness,” and “function-specific” training required by 49 CFR 172.704.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Help satisfy DOT hazmat employee training mandates at 49 CFR 172.704
- Safely perform a full range of hazmat job functions in compliance with US DOT's 49 CFR hazmat regulations
Online Course Details
||Desktop, tablet, or mobile
|Training required by
||US DOT (49 CFR 172.704)
CEUs and Certification Maintenance
|ABIH CM Points
|NEHA Contact Hours
|REHS Contact Hours
See how Lion courses can help you maintain your professional credentials.
Why choose online DOT hazmat training?
Online hazmat training is convenient, cost-effective way to satisfy US DOT hazmat employee training mandates for bulk or non-bulk hazmat shippers. Produced and kept up-to-date by Lion's team of experienced hazmat trainers, regulatory experts, Certified Hazardous Materials Managers (CHMM), and Certified Dangerous Goods Professionals (CDGP), the Shipping Hazmat by Ground - Ops Online Course
is comprehensive, reliable, and designed to simplify hazmat compliance for new or experienced employees.
Online courses are available 24/7 with support available 7 days a week.
Our state-of-the-art learning management system gives you access to tools that will enhance your online training experience:
- Resume your training from where you left off with automatic bookmarking
- Track your progress with the detailed course status display
- Get answers to your course content questions from expert instructors
- Develop your compliance expertise with engaging interactions
- Test your knowledge with exercises and quizzes on critical topics
- Access your complete Lion training history at any time
Who should take this hazmat online course?
This 49 CFR course is designed for operations-level employees who package, mark, label, and document hazmat shipments. Additional training may be required for employees who prepare hazmat air or ocean shipments.
Training for Hazmat Managers:
Employees with management responsibilities, i.e. those who classify materials, select Proper Shipping Names (PSN), determine authorized packaging, supervise hazmat employees, or sign shipping papers, should complete comprehensive hazmat training—see the Hazmat Ground Shipper Certification (DOT) Course