The US DOT Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) require all “hazmat employees” to be trained within 90 days of being hired, and repeat training every three years (49 CFR Part 172, Subpart H). This includes employees who prepare or offer hazardous waste shipments, using Intro to the Hazardous Waste Manifest as the shipping paper. Fines for noncompliance are as high as $79,976 per day, per violation. For more information about US DOT’s hazmat training standard for hazardous waste shippers, see the Hazmat Training FAQ.
This complete hazmat certification course helps hazmat and hazardous waste shippers meet the US DOT training standard for “hazmat employees.” Students learn a systematic approach for applying the latest 49 CFR hazmat rules to regulated shipments. Upon completion, students are prepared to manage all aspects of hazmat and hazardous waste shipping, including classification, package selection, marking and labeling, and signing hazmat shipping papers like the Manifest.
Registration includes Lion's expert online training curriculum, online compliance references, certification, regulatory updates, plus 365 days of complete follow-up support.
Interested in training a large group? Check out our Group Training options.
DOT Hazmat and Waste Shipper Training Topics:
- What is a DOT hazardous material
- Lion's 10 Steps for Hazmat Transportation
- Recognizing and responding to security threats
- Classifying hazardous materials
- Using the 49 CFR 172.101 table and selecting shipping names
- General packaging requirements
- Selecting authorized packaging (non-bulk, bulk, excepted)
- Packaging specification, filling and closing packages
- Preparing shipping papers and manifests
- Placarding requirements
- Loading, unloading, and segregation rules
- Recordkeeping and training mandates
- Reporting hazmat incidents and emergencies
- Regulatory reliefs and special permits
- Filling out and signing the Hazardous Waste Manifest
Who Should Attend:
Hazmat employees who must ensure compliance with the U.S. DOT hazardous materials regulations, who read and interpret hazmat rules, sign shipping papers or the EPA's hazardous waste manifests, prepare and offer materials for transport, or oversee the activities of other hazmat employees. This online course combines the curriculum from our Hazmat Ground Shipper Certification (DOT) and Intro to the Hazardous Waste Manifest training programs.