TCEQ Rules Suspended in Wake of Hurricane Harvey
The suspension of these rules is in place until the hurricane disaster declaration is lifted or expires.
The list of suspended TCEQ rules includes a number of provisions that apply to hazardous and industrial waste generators in the state, including:
Suspended Texas Industrial and Hazardous Waste Rules
- Suspending the 90-day hazardous waste accumulation time limit;
- waiving the notification requirement for disposing, processing, or recycling industrial solid waste on-site; and
- allowing Hazardous Waste Transfer Facilities and Nonhazardous Industrial Solid Waste (NHISW) Transfer Facilities to store waste for more than ten days.
Other TCEQ environmental rules now suspended in the wake of Hurricane Harvey include:
- Certain air quality emissions reporting and recordkeeping requirements;
- 24-hour spill reporting requirements for treated or untreated wastewater;
- visible emissions requirements for particulate matter;
- emissions limits on Nonagricultural process;
- prohibitions and requirements for open burning of waste and debris;
- storage, wastewater, and municipal landfill rules for volatile organic compounds;
- emissions control requirements for petroleum refineries, natural gas processing, and petrochemical processes;
- rules for de-gassing storage tanks, transport vessels, and marine vessels;
- allowing UST operators to deliver fuel gasoline to USTs even when their delivery certificate is scheduled to expire;
- UST and AST release reporting, cleanup, and response requirements; and others.
The Texas Water Code section 7.251 provides for a defense against enforcement for violations “caused solely by an act of God, war, strike, riot, or other catastrophe.” TCEQ advises regulated entities to keep records of all activities they believe are covered under this defense.
Natural Disasters and Regulatory Compliance in TX
TCEQ has posted a hurricane response information page to keep the regulated community informed.
In addition, TCEQ provided waste management guidance for generators and authorized facilities impacted by Hurricane Harvey. See the guidance document here.
Meet your Federal and State annual hazardous waste training requirements at Lion Technology’s complete, three-day RCRA and Texas hazardous waste workshops. Be confident you know not only the rules that apply to generators nationwide, but also the unique, state-specific standards imposed by TCEQ. You’ll leave the workshop with the confidence and knowledge to identify and manage your facilities solid and hazardous waste in full compliance with Federal and State regulations.
Hazardous Waste Workshops for Industry in Texas
Dallas - October 24—26
Houston - October 30—November 1
Find a Post
I love that the instructor emphasized the thought process behind the regs.
Corporate Product Stewardship Specialist
Lion's course was superior to others I have taken in the past. Very clear in the presentation and the examples helped to explain the content presented.
Hazardous Waste Professional
I like the consistency of Lion workshops. The materials are well put together and instructors are top notch!
Permitting, Compliance & Environmental Manager
Convenient; I can train when I want, where I want.
Hazmat Shipping Professional
Lion is easily and consistently the best option for compliance training. I've learned new information from every instructor I've had.
I have over 26 years of environmental compliance experience, and it has been some time since I have attended an environmental regulations workshop. I attended this course as preparation for EHS Audits for my six plants, and it was exactly what I was looking for.
Director of Regulatory Affairs
You blew the doors off the competition!
More thorough than a class I attended last year through another company.
Lion is at the top of the industry in compliance training. Course content and structure are updated frequently to make annual re-training enjoyable. I like that Lion has experts that I can contact for 1 year after the training.
The instructor was energetic and made learning fun compared to dry instructors from other training providers.
International Trade Compliance Manager
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
Hazardous materials shipment rejections bear a big cost. Use this guide to end operational and logistical disruptions that severely impact your bottom line.