PHMSA Adds 96 Hazmat Special Permits into HMR
As part of an ongoing effort to incorporate widely used hazmat special permits into the text of the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR), the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) this week submitted a new Final Rule for publication in the Federal Register. Required under the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21) and originally proposed in January 2015, the new Final Rule is part of DOT’s effort to modernize the hazmat regulations.
For shippers, this means universal access to the flexibility offered by these special permits and relief from the paperwork burden of applying and renewing special permit requests.
Which Hazmat Special Permits Made the Cut?
The 96 hazmat special permits proposed for incorporation in the HMR fall into six topic areas:
- General requirements for cylinders: including SP 6530 authorizing transport of certain hydrogen mixtures in cylinders filled to 110% of their marked service pressure
- Non-destructive testing of cylinders: including alternatives to the hot water bath test for aerosols
- Cargo Tanks/Rail Cars/Portable Tanks: including SP 12039 authorizing transportation in commerce of DOT 113120W tank cars containing refrigerated ethylene at 20 psig instead of the usual maximum 10 psig
- Air/Vessel Cargo Operations: including SP 11691, waiving segregation requirements for the transport in commerce of certain flammable and corrosive liquids that are the ingredients in soft drinks (beverages) when stowed in the same transport unit
- Highway/Rail/Shipper/Other Cargo Operations: including SP 11043 waiving segregation requirements for certain Division 2.3 materials and other exceptions to the segregation requirements
- Non-bulk packaging specifications and IBCs: including SP 13548 authorizing the transport in commerce of lead acid batteries and packages of battery acid on the same vehicle
Hazmat Special Permits Not Incorporated
PHMSA has deemed more than 1,000 special permits unsuitable for incorporation into the HMR. These special permits were either:
- Too specific;
- Not in wide use;
- Addressed in another active rulemaking; or
- Previously incorporated into the HMR.
49 CFR Hazmat Training You Can Trust
Be confident you and your shipping team are prepared for all DOT's latest hazmat regulations, including the newly finalized Hazmat Special Permit "Mega Rule.” Lion's expert instructors will cover the latest rules you must know at the interactive Hazardous Materials Transportation Certification Workshop, presented in cities nationwide. Click the link to discover how you can prepare your team for full compliance with the HMR.
US DOT requires training for all “hazmat employees” once every three years, and when rules change [ 49 CFR 172.704]
Tags: DOT, hazmat shipping, MAP 21, new rules
Find a Post
The instructor was very knowledgeable and provided pertinent information above and beyond the questions that were asked.
I can't say enough how pleased I was with this course! Everything finally makes sense.
Lion provided an excellent introduction to environmental regulations, making the transition to a new career as an EHS specialist less daunting of a task. Drinking from a fire hose when the flow of water is lessened, is much more enjoyable!
The instructor had knowledge of regulations and understanding of real-world situations. The presentation style was engaging and fostered a positive atmosphere for information sharing.
Safety & Environmental Compliance Officer
The online course was well thought out and organized, with good interaction between the student and the course.
Material Release Agent
Energetic/enthusiastic! Made training enjoyable, understandable and fun!
Hazardous Waste Professional
Well designed and thorough program. Excellent summary of requirements with references. Inclusion of regulations in hard copy form, as well as full electronic with state pertinent regulations included is a great bonus!
The course is well thought out and organized in a way that leads to a clearer understanding of the total training.
Hazmat Shipping Professional
Lion is at the top of the industry in compliance training. Course content and structure are updated frequently to make annual re-training enjoyable. I like that Lion has experts that I can contact for 1 year after the training.
Our instructor was very dynamic and kept everyone's interest. Hazmat shipping can be a dry, complicated topic but I was engaged the entire time.
Senior Director of EH&S
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
Four key considerations to help you maximize the convenience and quality of your experience with online training.