DOT, EPA, and OSHA Post Spring Regulatory Agendas in Today’s Federal Register
PHMSA Hazmat Shipping Regulations to Watch For
The US DOT Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) is planning new regulations for hazmat shippers to be published in the Federal Register in August and October 2015. Regulations in the Final Rule Stage include:
- Rules for “reverse logistics.” US DOT intends to set standards for retail establishments to ship hazmat products that have been damaged or returned by customers.
- Adoption of Special Permits. DOT is working to incorporate more widely used or applicable hazmat Special Permits into the text of the 49 CFR Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR).
- Safety Requirements for External Product Piping on Cargo Tanks (Wetlines). PHMSA is evaluating the effects of prohibiting flammable liquids from being transported in unprotected product piping (i.e. wetlines) on DOT specification cargo tank vehicles.
US EPA lists nine items currently listed in the Final Rule Stage in its Agenda, which include:
- Electronic reporting requirements for National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) compliance;
- Bolstered effluent guidelines for oil and gas extraction point sources;
- Carbon pollution emission guidelines for electric utility units;
- New air pollutants to ensure 90% of emissions of certain pollutants are subject to standards of the Clean Air Act;
- Revised greenhouse gas reporting rules for petroleum and natural gas systems;
- Reporting requirements for nanoscale materials and electronic notification/reporting rules under TSCA;
- Formaldehyde emission standards for composite wood products like hardwood, plywood , particleboard, and medium-density fiberboard that match California’s emission limits for these products; and
- Removal of certain training and accreditation requirements for lead-based paint abatement professionals.
The Department of Labor published new OSHA work safety rulemaking activity, including:
- And updated, modernized reporting system to make collecting workplace injury and illness date more efficient, timely, and accurate. This rulemaking will include a modification to 29 CFR 1904.35 regarding employees’ rights to report without fear of employer retaliation. A final rule is expected in September 2015.
- Revised standards for eye and face protection to reflect changing National Consensus Standards. This multi-year project will update references to outdated or out-of-print consensus standards currently found in the OSHA rules and incorporate the 2010 edition of the American National Standard Z87.1. A Final Rule was planned for May this year.
- Amended standards for OSHA personnel who obtain and use personal employee medical information. OSHA plans a Final Rule no later than January 2016.
Get Insight on New and Pending Industry Regulations
Subscribe to Lion News to keep up with new and pending regulations that affect hazmat shippers, hazardous waste generators, and industry employers with a. Benefit from insight on the latest rules and how your site can maintain compliance from Lion instructors and research staff.
Tags: DOT, EPA, hazmat shipping, new rules, RCRA
Find a Post
Lion was very responsive to my initial questions and the website was user friendly.
Supply Chain Director
I have over 26 years of environmental compliance experience, and it has been some time since I have attended an environmental regulations workshop. I attended this course as preparation for EHS Audits for my six plants, and it was exactly what I was looking for.
Director of Regulatory Affairs
I like Lion's workshops the best because they really dig into the information you need to have when you leave the workshop.
Tom Bush, Jr.
As always, Lion never disappoints
Lion Technology workshops are amazing!! You always learn so much, and the instructors are fantastic.
The price was reasonable, the time to complete the course was manageable, and the flexibility the online training allowed made it easy to complete.
Hazmat Shipping Professional
We have a very busy work schedule and using Lion enables us to take the course at our own time. It makes it easy for me to schedule my employees' training.
Hazmat Shipping Professional
No comparison. Lion has the best RCRA training ever!!
I have attended other training providers, but Lion is best. Lion is king of the hazmat jungle!!!
Hazardous Waste Technician
The exercises in the DOT hazardous materials management course are especially helpful in evaluating your understanding of course information.
Principal Industrial Hygienist
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
Hazardous materials shipment rejections bear a big cost. Use this guide to end operational and logistical disruptions that severely impact your bottom line.