New EPA Pharmaceutical Hazardous Waste Rules Coming Soon
As proposed, EPA’s new pharmaceutical hazardous waste regulations will revise the rules for accumulating, counting, labeling, shipping, and disposing of these hazardous wastes. In other words, healthcare facilities should expect major changes to the way they manage pharmaceutical hazardous waste on site.
Never miss an update! Subscribe to Lion News and get a free weekly digest of the latest news and insights for EHS professionals, hazmat shippers, and emergency responders.
Revisions in the proposed rule will:
- Prohibit drain disposal of pharmaceutical hazardous wastes.
- Split pharmaceutical hazardous wastes into “creditable” and “non-creditable” categories, subject to different management and shipping requirements.
- Establish hazardous waste management training requirements for personnel.
- Create new rules and time limits for on-site accumulation/storage.
- Exclude pharmaceutical hazardous wastes from counting toward generator status.
- Create new labeling rules for pharmaceutical hazardous wastes.
- Establish recordkeeping and release response requirements.
- Establish a new facility category under RCRA: “Pharmaceutical Reverse Distributors.”
Hazardous Waste Management Challenges for Healthcare ProvidersHealthcare facilities face three major challenges when it comes to hazardous waste compliance:
- Most healthcare professionals have their hands full with patient care, and most have little to no training or background in environmental compliance.
- Healthcare facilities may manage thousands of regulated pharmaceutical products that are each subject to specific management and disposal standards.
- Some pharmaceutical hazardous wastes are even regulated as “acute” hazardous wastes, meaning they are more dangerous and regulated more stringently.
Given those challenges, facilities need an effective hazardous waste management training plan in place to ensure compliance. Failure to comply with EPA’s hazardous waste regulations can result in rejected or returned pharmaceutical shipments, liability for environmental damage, and civil penalties under EPA’s RCRA program (now more than $72,000 per day, per violation).
Learn more about EPA’s proposed rules for pharmaceutical hazardous waste at the links below:
New Management Standards for Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals (09/2015)
What’s in the Newly Proposed Subpart P for Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals (09/2015)
Lion News will post an update when the Final Rule hits the Federal Register. SUBSCRIBE NOW and ensure you get the latest hazardous waste management news delivered directly to your inbox, every Tuesday morning!
Find a Post
Excellent job. Made what is very dry material interesting. Thoroughly explained all topics in easy-to-understand terms.
I have attended other training providers, but Lion is best. Lion is king of the hazmat jungle!!!
Hazardous Waste Technician
Very good. I have always appreciated the way Lion Tech develops, presents and provides training and materials.
Lion provided an excellent introduction to environmental regulations, making the transition to a new career as an EHS specialist less daunting of a task. Drinking from a fire hose when the flow of water is lessened, is much more enjoyable!
The instructor does a great job at presenting material in an approachable way. I have been able to save my company about $30,000 in the last year with what I have learned from Lion!
The online course was well thought out and organized, with good interaction between the student and the course.
Material Release Agent
You blew the doors off the competition!
The instructor was very dedicated to providing a quality experience. She did her best to make sure students were really comprehending the information.
Inventory Control Specialist
The instructor was energetic and made learning fun compared to dry instructors from other training providers.
International Trade Compliance Manager
Much better than my previous class with another company. The Lion instructor made sense, kept me awake and made me laugh!
Enterprise Safety Manager
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
Hazardous materials shipment rejections bear a big cost. Use this guide to end operational and logistical disruptions that severely impact your bottom line.