The US Coast Guard and the US Postal Service (USPS) increased civil penalties for violations of hazardous materials shipping regulations in vessel transportation and in the mail system, respectively.
Coast Guard: Hazmat Vessel Shipping
The Coast Guard is responsible for enforcing hazardous materials transportation regulations in vessel
transportation. Regulations for shipping hazardous materials by vessel are found in 49 CFR and the International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code
The new minimum and maximum civil penalty figures are effective as of January 11.
- For hazmat violations related to vessels, the maximum civil penalty increased from $84,425 to $89,678 per day, per violation.
- For violations that result in death, serious injury, or substantial property damage, the maximum civil penalty increased from $196,992 to $209,249 per day, per violation.
- The minimum civil penalty for a hazmat training violation increased from $508 to $540 per employee, per day.
Penalties for hazardous substance discharges from a vessel also increased.
See the January 11, 2022 Federal Register for more details.
USPS: Hazmat by Mail
USPS maintains its own set of unique requirements for shipping hazardous materials through the mail system.
The USPS rules are found in Publication 52
and are more restrictive
than the 49 CFR Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR). Only certain classes/division of hazardous materials, in small quantities, are allowed in the mail system.
Effective January 12, a maximum civil penalty of $137,060 per violation will apply to:
- Persons who knowingly mail nonmailable hazardous materials; and/or
- Persons who fail to follow postal laws on mailing hazardous materials.
civil penalty for these violations is now $344 per violation.
Build on your 49 CFR expertise! Lion's Hazmat Postal Shipper Online Course covers the unique USPS requirements for shipping hazardous materials by mail.
Hazmat Vessel Shipper Certification (IMDG) Training
Get function-specific training required by US DOT and the IMDG Code once every three years when Lion presents the live, instructor-led Hazmat Vessel Shipper Certification (IMDG) Webinar
on February 9.
Find comprehensive 49 CFR training to fit your schedule (and your preferred learning style) at Lion.com/DOT. Join an instructor for in-person training in Houston, Chicago, Cincinnati, San Diego, San Jose, and St. Louis in early 2022. Or train at your own pace, when and where you want with DOT hazmat training online.