When you ship hazardous materials, getting the details right is crucial. The hazmat regulations are dense and complex. A simplified standard operating procedure (SOP) can greatly benefit employees who prepare your shipments, especially those with limited knowledge of regulations like 49 CFR, the IATA DGR, and the IMDG Code.
We can put our 45+ years of regulatory expertise and industry experience to work for you
Lion will create a step-by-step manual to guide your hazmat employees as they package, handle, load, or unload hazardous materials. Lion has trained shippers nationwide to use a simple, Ten Step (TM) approach to prepare hazmat shipments for safe transport since the 1970s.
to prepare a step-by-step guide for one or more materials. Give employees a straightforward reference to ensure they get every detail right as they as they package, mark, label, handle, load, unload, and document hazardous materials shipments.
Leverage Lion's expertise to get the details right
When you provide some basic information about what you ship, you will recieve a step-by-step shipping manual
that informs employees about:
- Classification information, incl. hazard class/division, proper shipping name (PSN), ID number, and packing group (PG)
- Authorized packaging and packaging orientation for your material and any quantity limits that apply
- A summary of required hazmat markings and labels
- Illustrated examples of a complete package that employees can use as a reference
- Shipping paper format and a completed shipping description
- Applicable Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG) reference(s)
Cut out the complexity of hazmat compliance
A hazmat shipping guide will cut out the complexity of regulatory compliance and help you protect your facility against hazmat penalties that increase every year.
There's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all procedure for shipping hazardous materials. Each hazmat shipment is subject to dozens of variables that can impact how you prepare and offer your materials, including:
- The type of packaging you want to use
- How much material or product you ship in one package
- The packaging configuration (i.e., combination packaging, OVERPACK, etc.)
- Hazmat markings and labels required on the package
- The mode of transport you use (i.e. highway, air, vessel, or rail)
- How the shipment is described on shipping papers, BOLs, invoices, etc.
Why Choose Lion for EHS Consulting?
Lion has designed and delivered original regulatory compliance training programs across the United States since 1977, specializing in hazmat shipping, hazardous waste, air, water, and chemical regulations.
Lion researchers, consultants, and instructors field thousands of questions and requests for guidance from businesses big and small every year. We produce white papers, reports, and news articles for some of the most-read industry publications. This work keeps us constantly connected to the latest rules and makes us uniquely qualified to assess your site and provide reliable, up-to-date, and accurate compliance guidance.
Simply put, RCRA and hazmat compliance are our #1 focus. We’ve been at the top of our game for 45 years — and we’ll help you stay at the top of yours.