Hazmat and EHS Provisions in Congress’ $1.1 Trillion Spending Bill
In addition to addressing these big issues, the bill includes some items of note for hazmat and hazardous waste shippers, EHS managers, and any business that’s subject to rules and regulations of the Department of Transportation (DOT) or Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Here is a rundown of environmental and hazmat shipping–related items in the spending bill:
- Provides funding for US EPA to develop, operate, maintain, and upgrade its electronic Hazardous Waste Manifest system (eManifests)
- Allots $55.6 million for the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) to carry out its hazmat safety functions.
- Requires PHMSA to “develop a hazardous materials response training curriculum for emergency responders, including response activities for the transportation of crude oil, ethanol and other flammable liquids by rail,” and make it available in an electronic format.
- Requires PHMSA to create a rule to expand applicability of comprehensive oil spill response plans.
- Prevents the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) from denying an application to renew a motor carrier’s hazardous materials safety program permit based on the carrier’s Hazardous Materials Out-of-Service rate without allowing the carrier to submit a written description of corrective actions taken.
- Prohibits US EPA from creating regulations that require a Clean Air Act Title V permit for carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, water vapor, or methane emissions resulting from biological processes associated with livestock production
- Prohibits US EPA from regulating lead content in ammunition under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA).
Build Confidence Navigating the Latest Regulations
Lion Technology will present hundreds of compliance workshops nationwide in 2016 to help hazmat shippers, manufacturers, and all regulated industry personnel comply with the latest regulations that affect US businesses. The 2016 schedule is now available at http://www.Lion.com/catalog. Attend any of Lion’s interactive, engaging workshops to meet domestic and international training requirements, get expertly designed reference materials to help you on the job, and benefit from one year of Membership for access to exclusive resources, answers to your compliance questions, and more!
Tags: Clean Air Act, DOT, hazmat shipping, new rules, TSCA
Find a Post
I have been to other training companies, but Lion’s material is much better and easier to understand.
Convenient; I can train when I want, where I want.
Hazmat Shipping Professional
Lion is my preferred trainer for hazmat and DOT.
The instructor had knowledge of regulations and understanding of real-world situations. The presentation style was engaging and fostered a positive atmosphere for information sharing.
Safety & Environmental Compliance Officer
The instructor created a great learning environment.
CAD & Environmental Manager
These are the best commercial course references I have seen (10+ years). Great job!
EHS & Facility Engineer
I can take what I learned in this workshop and apply it to everyday work and relate it to my activities.
Lion was very extensive. There was a lot of things that were covered that were actually pertaining to what I do and work with. Great Job. I will be coming back in three years!
Hazmat Shipping Professional
I used the IT support number available and my issue was resolved within a few minutes. I don't see anything that could have made it better.
This course went above my expectations from the moment I walked in the door. The instructor led us through two days packed with useful compliance information.
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
Knowing why TSDFs reject loads of hazardous waste—and the exact steps to follow if it happens—can reduce your anxiety and uncertainty about rejection.