Hazmat and EHS Provisions in Congress’ $1.1 Trillion Spending Bill
In addition to addressing these big issues, the bill includes some items of note for hazmat and hazardous waste shippers, EHS managers, and any business that’s subject to rules and regulations of the Department of Transportation (DOT) or Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Here is a rundown of environmental and hazmat shipping–related items in the spending bill:
- Provides funding for US EPA to develop, operate, maintain, and upgrade its electronic Hazardous Waste Manifest system (eManifests)
- Allots $55.6 million for the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) to carry out its hazmat safety functions.
- Requires PHMSA to “develop a hazardous materials response training curriculum for emergency responders, including response activities for the transportation of crude oil, ethanol and other flammable liquids by rail,” and make it available in an electronic format.
- Requires PHMSA to create a rule to expand applicability of comprehensive oil spill response plans.
- Prevents the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) from denying an application to renew a motor carrier’s hazardous materials safety program permit based on the carrier’s Hazardous Materials Out-of-Service rate without allowing the carrier to submit a written description of corrective actions taken.
- Prohibits US EPA from creating regulations that require a Clean Air Act Title V permit for carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, water vapor, or methane emissions resulting from biological processes associated with livestock production
- Prohibits US EPA from regulating lead content in ammunition under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA).
Build Confidence Navigating the Latest Regulations
Lion Technology will present hundreds of compliance workshops nationwide in 2016 to help hazmat shippers, manufacturers, and all regulated industry personnel comply with the latest regulations that affect US businesses. The 2016 schedule is now available at http://www.Lion.com/catalog. Attend any of Lion’s interactive, engaging workshops to meet domestic and international training requirements, get expertly designed reference materials to help you on the job, and benefit from one year of Membership for access to exclusive resources, answers to your compliance questions, and more!
Find a Post
The instructor was very knowledgeable and provided pertinent information above and beyond the questions that were asked.
Best instructor ever! I was going to take my DOT training w/a different provider, but based on this presentation, I will also be doing my DOT training w/Lion!
Hazardous Waste Professional
I think LION does an excellent job of any training they do. Materials provided are very useful to my day-to-day work activities.
The instructor was very patient and engaging - willing to answer and help explain subject matter.
Material Control Superintendent
The instructor had knowledge of regulations and understanding of real-world situations. The presentation style was engaging and fostered a positive atmosphere for information sharing.
Safety & Environmental Compliance Officer
The instructor was probably the best I ever had! He made the class enjoyable, was humorous at times, and very knowledgeable.
Mary Sue Michon
The instructor was excellent. They knew all of the material without having to read from a notepad or computer.
I chose Lion's online webinar because it is simple, effective, and easily accessible.
Environmental Health & Safety Technician
Excellent course. Very interactive. Explanations are great whether you get the questions wrong or right.
Environmental, Health & Safety Regional Manager
This is the best RCRA training I've experienced! I will be visiting Lion training again.
Cynthia L. Logsdon
Principal Environmental Engineer
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
This guide will help you identify 25 of the most -cited errors in RCRA training, recordkeeping, hazardous waste ID, container management, universal waste, and laboratories.