Hospital Fined $360,000 for Pharma Hazardous Waste Violations
Did you know? EPA has finalized new management standards for hazardous waste pharmaceuticals to streamline compliance for healthcare facilities and pharmaceutical distributors.
Find out what you need to know to apply these new requirements when Lion presents the Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals Rule Webinar live on February 12.
Inspection Uncovers Nine Hazardous Waste ViolationsDuring a hazardous waste inspection of the hospital, State regulators noted nine violations of hazardous waste regulations pertaining to management and disposal of pharmaceutical hazardous waste. The violations all stemmed from the general lack of a proper hazardous waste compliance program and included:
- Failure to provide hazardous waste training for personnel
- Failure to properly dispose of hazardous waste
- Failure to make hazardous waste determinations
- Failure to keep records of hazardous waste determinations
- Failure to prepare hazardous waste manifests
- Failure to maintain records of hazardous waste manifests
- Failure to properly mark hazardous waste containers for transportation as required by US DOT
- Failure to report hazardous waste and waste minimization efforts on annual reports
- Failure to have a contingency plan for hazardous waste
EPA's New Management Standards for HWPIn December, US EPA finalized new management standards for hazardous waste pharmaceuticals, which allow health care facilities and distributors some flexibility under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) hazardous waste regulations. EPA has added specific requirements for hazardous waste pharmaceuticals, including:
- Training for certain employees who handle and accumulate these wastes
- Hazardous waste determinations
- New, unique accumulation rules and time limits
- Specific labeling requirements for certain hazardous waste pharmaceutical containers
- Reporting, recordkeeping, and release response standards
- Land disposal restrictions (LDR) for certain hazardous waste pharmaceuticals
- Manifests for certain off-site shipments
What RCRA Training Is Required?The hospital facing this RCRA fine is a large quantity generator of hazardous waste, or “LQG.” US EPA requires large quantity generators to provide hazardous waste training for personnel on an annual basis. Personnel with responsibilities for hazardous waste compliance must be trained within 60 days of hire or assignment.
Questions about who needs hazardous waste training and what’s required? Our RCRA Training FAQ is packed with answers to the most common hazardous waste training questions.
Get RCRA Trained—When You Want, Where You WantUS EPA requires hazardous waste professionals to complete annual training on the RCRA requirements. Lion makes it easy to meet your RCRA training mandate in a variety of formats—nationwide public workshops, convenient online courses, live webinars, and on-site training.
Browse RCRA training options here to find the course that fits your needs, your schedule, and your learning style.
Excellent course. Very interactive. Explanations are great whether you get the questions wrong or right.
Environmental, Health & Safety Regional Manager
The instructor created a great learning environment.
CAD & Environmental Manager
No comparison. Lion has the best RCRA training ever!!
I like Lion's workshops the best because they really dig into the information you need to have when you leave the workshop.
Tom Bush, Jr.
The instructor was very very informative, helpful, understandable and pleasant. This course answered many questions I had, being new to this industry.
Lion is easily and consistently the best option for compliance training. I've learned new information from every instructor I've had.
The exercises in the DOT hazardous materials management course are especially helpful in evaluating your understanding of course information.
Principal Industrial Hygienist
This was the 1st instructor that has made the topic actually enjoyable and easy to follow and understand. Far better than the "other" training providers our company has attended!
Process & Resource Administrator
The instructor was very patient and engaging - willing to answer and help explain subject matter.
Material Control Superintendent
I love that the instructor emphasized the thought process behind the regs.
Corporate Product Stewardship Specialist
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
This report details major changes for hazardous waste generators from US EPA’s Generator Improvements Rule, as well as the latest updates from states that are still working to adopt new, stricter Federal requirements.