To help employers re-open businesses safely and protect the safety and health of employees, Lion News staff is reviewing standards for COVID-19 preparedness, workplace controls, and employee training on a state-by-state basis.
To learn more, view our list of states with COVID-19 programs in place.
Kentucky’s Healthy at Work
provisions, effective as of July 10, 2020, require reopening businesses to meet minimum requirements, including educating and training “all individuals, including employees, temporary employees, contractors, vendors, customers, etc.” regarding the protocols in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
This training must be provided during normal business hours at no cost to the individual. Kentucky’s protocols also require entities to designate a “Healthy at Work” Officer who will be responsible for compliance with this guidance and any other guidance the state provides.
What Should COVID-19 Training Include in Kentucky?
In order to reopen, Kentucky businesses must also provide employee training specifically on how to isolate individuals suspected or confirmed of COVID-19
and how to report cases.
Elements of the Kentucky Healthy at Work
provisions that would be appropriate as part of employee COVID-19 training include, but are not limited to:
Read the complete Healthy at Work provisions here.
- Face covering requirements (who must wear them, when are they not required, etc.);
- Using gloves when touching high-contact surfaces and disinfecting these surfaces thereafter;
- Reducing capacity in common areas (such as lobbies, waiting rooms, break rooms, etc.);
- Daily temperature and/or health check procedures;
- Coronavirus testing policies; and
- How to fulfill contact notification responsibilities with Local and State health officials.
COVID-19 Safety Awareness Online Training
This week, Lion launched the COVID-19 Employee Safety Awareness Online Course
to help US workplaces re-open safely. As facilities nationwide begin to re-open, it is crucial that employees know how to protect themselves and their co-workers from exposure to COVID-19.
The course prepares employees to:
The course is designed to help employers nationwide satisfy COVID-19 employee awareness and training requirements now in place in many states, including Kentucky.
- Recognize signs, symptoms, and risk factors for COVID-19
- Describe how the COVID-19 disease is transmitted
- Follow recommended hygiene and work protocols to prevent exposure
- Properly use and care for PPE and face coverings, when required