Top 5 Human Resources Challenges Facing EHS Leaders
Human resources managers in environmental, health, and safety (EHS) industries have the unique task of grappling both. Here are the top 5 challenges HR pros must overcome at EHS companies.
5. Preventing Work-related AccidentsYou won’t find many EHS pros sitting behind a desk. The nature of the work puts employees in potentially dangerous situations. Whether it’s out at a shipping yard, in the back of a warehouse, or on the road, HR managers must anticipate potential hazards and ensure personnel are trained to handle whatever is thrown at them. These preparations can reduce workers’ compensation claims as well as keep your personnel safe and comfortable at work.
4. Maintaining Employee PrivacyIn the digital age, it’s easy to store and update confidential files as needed, including vital company information and personnel documentation. In fact, cloud-based management software is becoming more affordable and appealing to EHS companies. However, storing confidential information in a cloud can leave EHS companies open to internal or external data breaches. Even if your company’s files are stored on a local hard drive, seek the assistance of an IT professional to ensure your data is secure.
3. Keeping Up With TechnologyThe EHS industry is changing rapidly, thanks to the latest technological innovations. Processes that once took a whole days’ worth of work may take as little as an hour with the aid of computers, smartphones, and software-assisted equipment. These new technologies often pose a challenge for employees, who may fight change or fear their position will be automated. It is human resources’ job to dissuade these notions to make sure all workers feel valued and essential in their roles.
2. Managing a Diverse WorkforceWith more of Generation Z and Millennials entering the workforce, the EHS industry is becoming more and more diverse. Not only that, women and people of color are steadily growing segments of the EHS workforce. While a diverse workforce offers a more robust, holistic company, this can present challenges for human resources in terms of harassment and discrimination. HR personnel and EHS managers alike should remain vigilant and familiarize themselves with State and Federal workplace discrimination regulations.
1. Regulation ComplianceEHS managers know how crucial it is to adhere to strict Federal and State regulations. However, hazmat, EPA, and hazardous waste regs are not the only ones to look out for. In addition, human resources professionals must be aware of OSHA, employment, wage, discrimination, and family leave regulations just to name a few. HR pros work closely with attorneys to make sure the company is following all these guidelines and to avoid potential lawsuits. It is also recommended for HR personnel to collaborate with EHS managers to follow all environmental, health, and safety regulations and prepare for any new regulations soon to come.
New at Lion.com: Human Resources Manager Online CourseTo ensure human resources professionals and corporate leaders have the skills to foster a safe, positive workplace for all employees, Lion Technology now offers Human Resources Manager online training courses.
The Human Resources Manager training encompasses these 4 courses:
- Drug-free Workplace
- Job Stress Prevention
- Introduction to Supervision and Leadership
- Work Schedules & Working Alone
Open Enrollment Starts NowThe new online Human Resources Manager training is available now. Take all four human resources courses for $59. Learn more about the training here or call (888) 546-6511 to sign up today.
Find a Post
The course was very informative and presented in a way that was easily understood and remembered. I would recommend this course.
Hazmat Shipping Professional
The instructor made the class enjoyable. He presented in a very knowledgeable, personable manner. Best class I've ever attended. Will take one again.
Environmental Compliance Manager
Lion Technology workshops are amazing!! You always learn so much, and the instructors are fantastic.
Lion courses are the standard to which all other workshops should strive for!
Registered Environmental Health Specialist
The instructor was very patient and engaging - willing to answer and help explain subject matter.
Material Control Superintendent
These are the best commercial course references I have seen (10+ years). Great job!
EHS & Facility Engineer
Excellent class, super instructor, very easy to follow. No rushing through material. Would like to take his class again.
EH&S Facility Maintenance & Security Manager
If I need thorough training or updating, I always use Lion. Lion is always the best in both instruction and materials.
The instructor kept the class engaged and made learning fun. There was a lot of information to cover but time flew by. I will definitely use Lion in the future!
Hazmat Shipping Professional
This is a very informative training compared to others. It covers everything I expect to learn and even a lot of new things.
Waste Management Professional
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
Shipping papers are a crucial part of safely shipping hazardous materials. See the top 5 mistakes shippers make on shipping papers, and how to avoid them.