PHMSA Provides Partial Relief for Shipping Hand Sanitizers and Disinfectants by Ground
To make it easier for carriers to provide hand sanitizers and disinfectants to workers throughout the supply chain, PHMSA will provide relief for the transport of these items on a motor vehicle for the purpose of protecting the health and safety of employees and contractors who directly support a carrier’s logistical operations.
In a memo released April 20, PHMSA said this would allow hand sanitizers and disinfectants to be transported by a logistics company’s own transportation network without meeting the rigorous hazmat standards outlined in the HMR for Class 8 corrosive liquids.
Employers may qualify for temporary relief if they meet the following criteria:
(1) The sanitizing and disinfecting materials are intended to allow employees to adhere to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines for protecting against COVID-19.
(2) The sanitizing and disinfecting materials are being provided to protect the health and safety of employees who directly support the operations of the carrier, such as by sorting packages, loading and unloading packages, and driving delivery vehicles.
(3) The sanitizing and disinfecting materials are transported by motor vehicle.
(4) The shipment complies with the hazard class, quantity, packaging, hazard communication, and aggregate gross weight requirements specified in 49 CFR 173.6 (Materials of Trade provisions).
(5) Transport of these materials for purposes other than use by employees of the carrier (e.g., retail sale) is not authorized.
If these terms are met, PHMSA will not issue any enforcement action related to the shipments of sanitizing and disinfecting products by motor vehicle. Shipments by air and vessel are still required to meet all HMR requirements, unless relief is provided elsewhere. This relief is only a temporary measure during the coronavirus pandemic.
Stay Home. Stay Certified.Keep your hazardous materials expertise sharp and your DOT certification up to date. At Lion.com/Hazmat, find comprehensive online courses that cover the latest 49 CFR, IATA DGR, and IMDG Code regulations you must know to ship by ground, air, or vessel. Complete hazmat training on your own schedule, at your own pace, and in your own home.
Browse hazmat courses.
Tags: disinfectant, DOT, hand sanitizer, hazmat, PHMSA, sanitizer, shipping disinfectant, shipping hand sanitizer
Find a Post
I like the consistency of Lion workshops. The materials are well put together and instructors are top notch!
Permitting, Compliance & Environmental Manager
Given the choice, I would do all coursework this way. In-person courses go very fast without the opportunity to pause or repeat anything.
Chemical Laboratory Manager
The instructor was excellent. They knew all of the material without having to read from a notepad or computer.
I really enjoy your workshops. Thank you for such a great program and all the help Lion has provided me over the years!
Hazardous Material Pharmacy Technician
My experience with Lion training, both online and in the classroom, is that they are far better organized and provide a better sequential explanation of the material.
Manager, Dangerous Goods Transportation
The instructor was very dedicated to providing a quality experience. She did her best to make sure students were really comprehending the information.
Inventory Control Specialist
Convenient; I can train when I want, where I want.
Hazmat Shipping Professional
The exercises in the DOT hazardous materials management course are especially helpful in evaluating your understanding of course information.
Principal Industrial Hygienist
The instructor clearly enjoys his job and transmits that enthusiasm. He made a dry subject very interesting and fun.
I tried other environmental training providers, but they were all sub-standard compared to Lion. I will not stray from Lion again!
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
Four key considerations to help you maximize the convenience and quality of your experience with online training.