PHMSA Provides Partial Relief for Shipping Hand Sanitizers and Disinfectants by Ground
To make it easier for carriers to provide hand sanitizers and disinfectants to workers throughout the supply chain, PHMSA will provide relief for the transport of these items on a motor vehicle for the purpose of protecting the health and safety of employees and contractors who directly support a carrier’s logistical operations.
In a memo released April 20, PHMSA said this would allow hand sanitizers and disinfectants to be transported by a logistics company’s own transportation network without meeting the rigorous hazmat standards outlined in the HMR for Class 8 corrosive liquids.
Employers may qualify for temporary relief if they meet the following criteria:
(1) The sanitizing and disinfecting materials are intended to allow employees to adhere to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines for protecting against COVID-19.
(2) The sanitizing and disinfecting materials are being provided to protect the health and safety of employees who directly support the operations of the carrier, such as by sorting packages, loading and unloading packages, and driving delivery vehicles.
(3) The sanitizing and disinfecting materials are transported by motor vehicle.
(4) The shipment complies with the hazard class, quantity, packaging, hazard communication, and aggregate gross weight requirements specified in 49 CFR 173.6 (Materials of Trade provisions).
(5) Transport of these materials for purposes other than use by employees of the carrier (e.g., retail sale) is not authorized.
If these terms are met, PHMSA will not issue any enforcement action related to the shipments of sanitizing and disinfecting products by motor vehicle. Shipments by air and vessel are still required to meet all HMR requirements, unless relief is provided elsewhere. This relief is only a temporary measure during the coronavirus pandemic.
Stay Home. Stay Certified.Keep your hazardous materials expertise sharp and your DOT certification up to date. At Lion.com/Hazmat, find comprehensive online courses that cover the latest 49 CFR, IATA DGR, and IMDG Code regulations you must know to ship by ground, air, or vessel. Complete hazmat training on your own schedule, at your own pace, and in your own home.
Browse hazmat courses.
Tags: disinfectant, DOT, hand sanitizer, hazmat, PHMSA, sanitizer, shipping disinfectant, shipping hand sanitizer
Find a Post
More thorough than a class I attended last year through another company.
The instructor was great, explaining complex topics in terms that were easily understandable and answering questions clearly and thoroughly.
One of the best trainings I have ever received!
You blew the doors off the competition!
I tried other environmental training providers, but they were all sub-standard compared to Lion. I will not stray from Lion again!
Lion courses are the standard to which all other workshops should strive for!
Registered Environmental Health Specialist
I can take what I learned in this workshop and apply it to everyday work and relate it to my activities.
The instructor did an excellent job presenting a very dry subject; keeping everyone interested and making it enjoyable.
Hazardous Waste Professional
These are the best commercial course references I have seen (10+ years). Great job!
EHS & Facility Engineer
The training was impressive. I am not a fan of online training but this was put together very well. I would recommend Lion to others.
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
Get to know the top 5 changes to OSHA’s revised GHS Hazard Communication Standard at 29 CFR 1910.1200 and how the updates impacts employee safety at your facility.