PHMSA Provides Partial Relief for Shipping Hand Sanitizers and Disinfectants by Ground
To make it easier for carriers to provide hand sanitizers and disinfectants to workers throughout the supply chain, PHMSA will provide relief for the transport of these items on a motor vehicle for the purpose of protecting the health and safety of employees and contractors who directly support a carrier’s logistical operations.
In a memo released April 20, PHMSA said this would allow hand sanitizers and disinfectants to be transported by a logistics company’s own transportation network without meeting the rigorous hazmat standards outlined in the HMR for Class 8 corrosive liquids.
Employers may qualify for temporary relief if they meet the following criteria:
(1) The sanitizing and disinfecting materials are intended to allow employees to adhere to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines for protecting against COVID-19.
(2) The sanitizing and disinfecting materials are being provided to protect the health and safety of employees who directly support the operations of the carrier, such as by sorting packages, loading and unloading packages, and driving delivery vehicles.
(3) The sanitizing and disinfecting materials are transported by motor vehicle.
(4) The shipment complies with the hazard class, quantity, packaging, hazard communication, and aggregate gross weight requirements specified in 49 CFR 173.6 (Materials of Trade provisions).
(5) Transport of these materials for purposes other than use by employees of the carrier (e.g., retail sale) is not authorized.
If these terms are met, PHMSA will not issue any enforcement action related to the shipments of sanitizing and disinfecting products by motor vehicle. Shipments by air and vessel are still required to meet all HMR requirements, unless relief is provided elsewhere. This relief is only a temporary measure during the coronavirus pandemic.
Stay Home. Stay Certified.Keep your hazardous materials expertise sharp and your DOT certification up to date. At Lion.com/Hazmat, find comprehensive online courses that cover the latest 49 CFR, IATA DGR, and IMDG Code regulations you must know to ship by ground, air, or vessel. Complete hazmat training on your own schedule, at your own pace, and in your own home.
Browse hazmat courses.
I really enjoyed this training. Even after years on both sides of the comprehension coin, I find myself still learning! The quality of the delivery exceeded much of the training I have received in the past.
Having the tutorial buttons for additional information was extremely beneficial.
The training was impressive. I am not a fan of online training but this was put together very well. I would recommend Lion to others.
One of the best trainings I have ever received!
Lion does a great job summarizing and communicating complicated EH&S-related regulations.
Sr. Environmental Engineer
I will never go anywhere, but to Lion Technology.
The price was reasonable, the time to complete the course was manageable, and the flexibility the online training allowed made it easy to complete.
Hazmat Shipping Professional
I love that the instructor emphasized the thought process behind the regs.
Corporate Product Stewardship Specialist
Well designed and thorough program. Excellent summary of requirements with references. Inclusion of regulations in hard copy form, as well as full electronic with state pertinent regulations included is a great bonus!
The course was very informative and presented in a way that was easily understood and remembered. I would recommend this course.
Hazmat Shipping Professional
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
Knowing why TSDFs reject loads of hazardous waste—and the exact steps to follow if it happens—can reduce your anxiety and uncertainty about rejection.