Fatal Work Injuries At 12-year High in 2019
- There were 5,333 fatal work injuries recorded in 2019, a two-percent increase over the previous year and the most since 2007.
- Every 99 minutes, a worker died from a work-related injury in 2019.
- Fatalities among workers age 55 and older increased eight percent over the previous year to 2,005, the largest number ever recorded for this age group.
- The private construction industry saw an increase in fatalities of 5 percent to 1,061.
- Nearly one out of every 5 workers who suffered a fatality was employed as a driver/sales worker or truck driver.
- Fatal work injuries from slips, trips, and falls increased 11 percent in 2019 to 880.
- Exposure to harmful substances or environments led to the deaths of 642 workers in 2019, the highest figure since this reporting category was intiated in 2011.
- There were 99 worker fatalities due to fires and/or explosions in 2019, a 14 percent decrease over the previous year.
BackgroundCFOI is an annual count of all fatal work-related injuries in the US. CFOI is conducted as part of the Bureau of Labor Statistics’s Occupational Safety and Health Statistics program. CFOI uses a comprehensive approach to identify, verify, and describe fatal occupational injuries by relying on State, Federal, and independent sources. For the 2019 data, over 25,100 unique source documents were reviewed as part of the data collection process.
10-Hour Online OSHA Safety TrainingWhen there are shortcomings in workplace safety at multiple levels, there can be significant economic and human impacts. Lion’s 10-Hour OSHA General Industry online course can help ensure everyone is on the same page when it comes to safety, even when your team is spread out in multiple locations.
Lion’s online OSHA courses are reinforced with:
- Content and resources updated when regulations change.
- Retention-boosting exercises and knowledge checks.
- Relatable, real-world examples.
- FAQs developed over 40 years of training experience.
- A user-friendly, easy-to-use interface.
Find a Post
You blew the doors off the competition!
Well designed and thorough program. Excellent summary of requirements with references. Inclusion of regulations in hard copy form, as well as full electronic with state pertinent regulations included is a great bonus!
Lion Technology workshops are amazing!! You always learn so much, and the instructors are fantastic.
As always, Lion never disappoints
Attending Lion Technology classes should be mandatory for every facility that ships or stores hazmat.
Excellent. I learned more in two days with Lion than at a 5-day program I took with another provider.
The instructor was great, explaining complex topics in terms that were easily understandable and answering questions clearly and thoroughly.
The instructor's energy, enthusiasm, and knowledge of the subject make the class a great learning experience!
I was recently offered an opportunity to take my training through another company, but I politely declined. I only attend Lion Technology workshops.
Material Production/Logistics Manager
I tried other environmental training providers, but they were all sub-standard compared to Lion. I will not stray from Lion again!
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
What to do before, during, and after a RCRA hazardous waste inspection to defend your site from rising State and Federal penalties.