Hazmat Reverse Logistics Rule for Retail Stores Finalized
The US DOT Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) has completed a Final Rule that creates alternative hazmat shipping standards for retail stores that return hazardous materials to a manufacturer, supplier, or distributor.
In addition to creating standards for retail shippers to classify, package, mark, label, and offer reverse logistics hazmat shipments, the Final Rule expands the battery recycler exclusion at 49 CFR 173.159(e) to authorize pickups from multiple facilities on the same transport vehicle.
DOT Reverse Logistics (RRR) Final Rule
Here are some main points from PHMSA’s new Reverse Logistics Final Rule:
- Creates new section (49 CFR 173.157) for reverse logistics
- Provides definition for “reverse logistics”
- Affects certain consumer products in hazard classes 3, 8, Division 2.1 and 2.2, Divison 1.4S and 1.4G, 5.1, 6.1 and 9.
- Sets size limit of 30 kg (66 pounds) per package for reverse logistics shipments
- Authorizes use of limited quantity hazmat definitions at 49 CFR 173.150(b) for each affected class.
- Requires original packaging or packaging of equal/greater strength for reverse logistics shipments
- Authorizes only packagings suitable for use under limited quantity exception
- Does not cover lithium batteries or hazardous wastes
- Expands battery recycler exclusion to allow pickups from multiple different sites
See PHMSA's pre-publication version of the Reverse Logistics (RRR) Final Rule here.
Live, Interactive DOT Hazmat Training Workshops
Build the expertise and confidence to ship hazmat safely and in compliance with the latest 49 CFR, IATA, and IMDG rules. The Complete Multimodal Hazmat Shipper Workshops are presented in convenient locations nationwide. Enroll now and get 365 days of complete on-the-job support, including access to the Finder Q&A service!
Join experienced hazmat professionals from your area for an engaging learning experience led by instructors who help uncover the real-world meaning of the regulations that affect your job.
Find a Post
Excellent class, super instructor, very easy to follow. No rushing through material. Would like to take his class again.
EH&S Facility Maintenance & Security Manager
I attended training from another provider and learned absolutely nothing. Lion is much better. Hands down.
I used the IT support number available and my issue was resolved within a few minutes. I don't see anything that could have made it better.
Lion Technology workshops are amazing!! You always learn so much, and the instructors are fantastic.
Lion does a great job summarizing and communicating complicated EH&S-related regulations.
Sr. Environmental Engineer
The instructor took a rather drab set of topics and brought them to life with realistic real-life examples.
Lion's online training is more comprehensive, has better slides, and is a superior training experience than what I would get from other trainers.
District Environmental Manager
No comparison. Lion has the best RCRA training ever!!
I like Lion's workshops the best because they really dig into the information you need to have when you leave the workshop.
Tom Bush, Jr.
One of the best trainings I have ever received!
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
The definitive 10-step guide for new hazardous materials shipping managers. Quickly reference the major considerations and details that impact hazmat shipping compliance.