Question of the Week: Exceptions for Lithium Batteries
A. It is true that lithium batteries shipped under the DOT Hazardous Material Regulations cannot be shipped under the limited quantity exceptions. However, if properly classified and packaged, lithium batteries can receive as much or more relief from the regulations than limited quantity shipments. Unlike the limited quantities relief, which is found in the packing authorizations in column 8A of the 172.101 table, the relief for lithium batteries can be found as part of the special provisions listed in column 7.
When shipping hazardous materials as limited quantities, you get the following reliefs:
- Hazard labels are not required, except for air shipments
- Shipping papers and emergency response information are not required, except for hazardous substances, hazardous wastes, marine pollutants, or if transported by aircraft or vessel
- Placards are not required
- Specification packaging is not required, but
- packagings must still meet general requirements (49 CFR 173 Subpart B), and
- specific weight limitations apply (49 CFR 173.150-173.156)
The restrictions and procedures necessary to follow, however, can be more extensive, and may include:
- Being of a type proven to meet the testing requirements of the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria
- Meeting unique size restrictions for lithium primary vs. secondary lithium batteries
- Packaging cells or batteries to prevent short circuits
- Using strong outer packagings
- Primary (non-rechargeable) lithium batteries are largely prohibited for transport by air
Tags: DOT, hazmat shipping, limited quantities, lithium batteries
Find a Post
The instructor made the class very enjoyable and catered to the needs of our group.
Very good. I have always appreciated the way Lion Tech develops, presents and provides training and materials.
I really enjoyed this training. Even after years on both sides of the comprehension coin, I find myself still learning! The quality of the delivery exceeded much of the training I have received in the past.
I will never go anywhere, but to Lion Technology.
One of the best trainings I have ever received!
Much better than my previous class with another company. The Lion instructor made sense, kept me awake and made me laugh!
Enterprise Safety Manager
I can't say enough how pleased I was with this course! Everything finally makes sense.
Excellent job. Made what is very dry material interesting. Thoroughly explained all topics in easy-to-understand terms.
Lion's training was by far the best online RCRA training I've ever taken. It was challenging and the layout was great!
Hazardous Waste Professional
Energetic/enthusiastic! Made training enjoyable, understandable and fun!
Hazardous Waste Professional
Download Our Latest Whitepaper
Just starting out with shipping lithium batteries? Not before you can answer the four fundamental questions form this guide.